Disclaimer

The Migraine Girl's blog is not a substitute for professional advice! Thank you and be well.

Search This Blog

29 August 2010

wishful thinking?

I don't blog much about migraine disease anymore, but that's not because the disease is behind me, it's just that I devote my online time to other things. (Speaking of that, I've really missed writing about migraine; turns out writing was a more powerful coping mechanism than I'd ever thought. Might have to return to the blog!)

Each day I get an email full of articles about migraine in the news (thank you, Google Alerts). Football player Percy Harvin is mentioned daily. I don't know who is is apart from the fact that he suffers from severe migraine attacks and is getting criticized in the news (which makes me irate, as you can imagine).

This morning I saw a headline about Harvin's claim that he thinks he's put the migraines behind him. This is just a blurb of an article, but it seems so naive. It's frustrating, too, that such a major figure has many people's attention right now and he could use this as an opportunity to educate people about this disease.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38900552/ns/sports-player_news/

For his sake, I hope I'm wrong and he has found a miracle cure most of us have never stumbled upon despite years of trying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I was reading your blog and saw that you are using naproxen for migraines. I am male, 24, and get a migraine 1 or 2 times per month. Always with Aura. And have had them since I was in High School. For the longest time I tried experimenting with OTC drugs to get rid of my migraines, as I didn't want to spend the ridiculous per-pill price of abortive medicines. And I didn't want to take a daily preventative. So through experimenting I found one thing that works everytime. Naproxen. I read in your blog that you use it twice daily. From my uses of it, I have noticed the following: It only works BEFORE the pain starts. And that 1 pill is not enough, take 2, but no more than 2. So I was wondering if you'd try an experiment. Next time you get an Aura take 2 naproxen, but take it at the earliest sign of the Aura. Meaning you will need to look closely at the center of your vision for stars or visual distortion. The minute you see it, take the 2 naproxen, then see if the Migraine still hits. If it works, you won't get the headache but will still have very mild nausea symptoms. If not, well, you'll know it...

Minor technical things: for me, Naproxen only works if taken before pain exists. So if the migraine has already started causing pain, it won't work for me. So it might be the same for you, try the experiment though and see if it works. Let me know if it does/doesn't works: productinquiries@gmail.com

themigrainegirl said...

Interesting idea, Anonymous. I'm actually out of Naproxen as of last week. I use it occasionally in conjunction with my triptans (Imitrex, Maxalt) and sometimes on its own for back pain. I will have to look into your tip if I get the prescription filled again. I'm so glad it's working for you. I'm certainly curious to know if the same could be said for me!

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://migraine.com/author/the-migraine-girl/
and update your bookmarks.