Disclaimer

The Migraine Girl's blog is not a substitute for professional advice! Thank you and be well.

Search This Blog

07 April 2008

the face of rejection

That's me, all right. With renewed hope and energy, I applied for an insurance plan yet again a few weeks back. Last week an agent from the insurance company called me to talk about the medications I am on now (as well as the ones I have taken for the past three years). I was honest and straight-forward while also telling the extremely helpful agent how much this would change my life, to actually have insurance again. I told her how I hadn't even had to fill my triptan prescriptions yet because of all the free samples my doctor gives. I told her how I'd weaned myself off of some expensive drugs months ago and had no interest in starting them again. I assured her that I was still taking measures to prevent Migraine attacks, but that instead of being expensive pharmaceuticals, they're herbs and vitamins I pay for out of my own pocket.

She spoke as if I would be covered. I assume that tone is easier to take, rather than beginning each explanatory sentence with, "If you are chosen as someone we'll cover, then this is how it will work..."

I had high hopes. I thought that THIS time it would work. My hopes were diminished a bit when she ended the call by saying, "All right, Janet, I'll report all this information to our underwriters and get back to you." Underwriters look at the number of meds and the various diagnoses you have. In my experience, they don't really factor in how badly someone could be helped by insurance--that would chop their profits in half, I'm sure, were they to accept those that needed it for frequent care.


In any case, I got a letter back on Saturday afternoon, indicating that the decision was made by the underwriters almost instantly. After all, they must have sent the letter the day I spoke with the agent, given the turnaround time. The answer? NO. The reason? A history of chronic Migraine disease and various prescriptions medications on my record prevented me from being approved.

Duh, that's why I need it.

I've been putting off watching Michael Moore's Sicko since I've been pretty sure it'd really piss me off. I think I'm ready to be really angry about this. Maybe I'll rent it this week.

GRRR!

3 comments:

Diana Lee said...

I'm so sorry, Janet. While I understand that they are in the business of making money, there is just no way they couldn't balance out covering someone like you with all the people they carry who never need anything remotely expensive.

Sicko was really well done, but awfully hard to watch. And I'm lucky enough to have pretty good insurance. It's infuriating to hear how horribly people are treated by those money hungry vultures. :(

scent-sitive girl said...

this makes me so angry. everyone should have health coverage- it should be a given right!!! there are a few states (10, i think), and mine (MA) is one of them, where health insurers can't deny you coverage. we have what's called "community rating" where your coverage rate is determined by your location and age rather than your individual health status. that way the healthy subsidize the sick for a given area and age range. you need to move to MA!!

btw, i have a graduate degree in health policy and work in the field. don't see sicko- it's extremely biased, not entirely accurate, and will only make you angry.

Eileen said...

I am so sorry! Yes, I work in the medical field. I see people that cannot afford their bills and it breaks my heart....and this is WITH insurance!!!

I finally watched SICKO myself. Yes, it will make you mad/sad and cry. In the one part the woman breaks down saying how she knew when this couple was applying for insurance that they would not get it, but she has to act as if they would.

It is extreemly bias. Making it sould like living overseas is better because healthcare is "free". It's not. It's in their taxes that are $$$$$$$. Plus they do not have the technology here.

It's worth the watch though - but be prepared. Moore LOVES Hillary - and there is a lot of that in there.

have you looked into http://www.pparx.org? I am insured and still qualified for discount cards for medications....just goes to show you how flawed this system is.

Big hugs girl!!!

My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://migraine.com/author/the-migraine-girl/
and update your bookmarks.